Skip to main content

District of St. Marys Customs House records

 Record Group
Identifier: RG-002

Scope and Contents

Customs Records from the Port of St. Marys, and the subordinate customs house along the Great Satilla. The customs house in St. Marys was in use from the late 1700s until 1913 when the customs house was moved to Fernandina, Fla. These records were slated to be thrown into a dumpster in 1987. When a local citizen heard about the plans he rescued the documents.

Most of the loose records consist of correspondence dealing with fees, taxes, reports: statistics, seizures, fines, penalties, etc. Vessels and boat pilots names are recorded throughout the bound volumes, but there are several listed in the loose records as well.


  • 1866-1913


Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Biographical / Historical

The District of St. Marys Customs House was established in 1785 with Henry Osborne appointed Customs Collector for St. Marys and other points south of Sundbury (Ga.). A secondary Customs House along the Great Satilla River is referred to in these records. The Customs House closed in 1913 when the duties were transferred to the Customs House in Fernandina (Fla.).


7 Linear Feet (48 bound registers and 1 linear foot of loose records)

Language of Materials


A guide to the District of St. Marys Customs House record
In Progress
Harland Harris, Connie Brazell
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the Bryan-Lang Archives Repository

P. O. Box 715
311 Camden Ave.
Woodbine Georgia 31569 United States